Alumni Committee Terms of Reference
Mission: Our mission is to provide a lifelong commitment of support to alumni of Renascent. We shall develop and implement a self-sustaining, continuous program of practical services and events to interest our alumni as a whole and will assist members in achieving a lifetime of abstinence from addiction.
The Committee shall consist of eight to ten Members:
- Alumni Care Manager
- Alumni Liaison
- 4 to 6 Members at Large (additional members may be recruited as seen fit by the committee)
Responsibilities of Alumni Committee:
- Attend a minimum of 9 out of the 12 monthly Alumni Committee meetings annually
- Attend Alumni House meetings and encourage others to participate in alumni events and meetings. Committee will ensure at least two members are in attendance at each House meeting
- Be available and offer service and support at all alumni events
- Initiate regular outreach to alumni and bring any questions or suggestions raised by alumni to the Committee for discussion
- Organize program-specific activities and events that will provide fellowship, strengthen sobriety and offer value to our fellow alumni
- Maintain regular communication with Chair and Alumni Care Manager. Email should be checked on the 1st and 2nd Fridays of each month and phone messages should be returned within 2 days, if possible
Meeting Etiquette: At Committee meetings, members will abide by time guidelines, stick to the agenda, and make an effort to guide themselves using the AA philosophy of “principles before personalities”. The welfare of Renascent Alumni as a whole must always come before individual interests. Each member will carry themselves professionally in Committee meetings and maintain a positive, friendly and open environment where all are welcome to contribute. Members are expected to listen to others without interruption and to speak in turn.
Committee Member Job Descriptions:
Alumni Care Manager:
- Creates agenda with assistance of Chairperson.
- Distributes draft and final agendas.
- Provides budget guidelines and event planning support; secures financing and sponsorships.
- Ensures meeting stays on topic, on time and that all members have opportunity in discussion.
- Creates agenda with assistance of Alumni Care Manager.
- Phones or emails Committee members to remind them of meetings.
- Takes detailed meeting minutes, types them up and provides email or hard copies for Committee members and Alumni Care Manager.
- Ensures Committee binder contains current agenda, minutes and member contact info.
- Reports activities of Committee to alumni and announces upcoming events at House Meetings.
- Attends both House Meetings each month (arranges for a replacement from within the Committee if attendance is not possible).
- Obtains a completed ‘contact card’ from graduating clients and ensures delivery to Alumni Care Manager.
Job Descriptions above may vary from time to time as designated by Committee and/or Alumni Care Manager.
Nominations for Chair, Secretary and Alumni Liaison positions will take place every second year as follows: September 2008, September 2010, September 2012 etc.
Members may be re-elected for these positions a maximum of three consecutive terms.
For more information please contact:
Manager, Alumni and Volunteer Services